Saturday, August 4, 2007

Two dead directors.

This week two great cinema directors died and one I had never heard of before. These were Ingmar Bergman and Michelangelo Antonioni, the latter is the one I had never heard of before. I have not seen many of Bergmans movies, perhaps only 1 or 2 but I have seen many movies that have been inspired by him and I am sure many movies I have seen have been inspired by Antonioni also, just didn't know it. I allow myself to call them great even though I don't know their work is because they have been inspiration to great directors like Woody Allen, Stanley Kubrick and others that I think are good directors, so their inspiration must be good also doesn't it?

The reason I like these kind of movies much more then movies like Die Hard 4 or The Simpsons is the same reason I like the lyrics of Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Nick Cave more then the latest R'n'B/Hip Hop lyrics (beside the fact that most R'n'B/Hip Hop music is just plain boring) and that is that one takes on the hardship of life, tries to categorize it and find some kind of resolution to life and does it in an intellectual manner, the other perhaps tries but fails in a miserable way. Don't get me wrong, entertainment is ok, but that is all it is, just entertainment, doesn't have any substance but the former artists are good at combining entertainment with social issues and a little philosophy, that is good art in my opinion.

Anyway, solong and thanks for all the fish (ehh .. movies), Bergman and Antonioni.

No comments: